10 Nov, 2017
A.I. For Good Hackathon
Bringing together the best minds in business to build artificial intelligence (AI) -enabled smart city applications for everyone especially the urban poor, disabled and homeless and organisations that support them in Malaysia.
Join us in this intercompany hackathon to solve society's biggest challenges now!
BENEFITS TO PARTICIPANTS
A.I. For Good Hackathon by BFM-Edge is one of the first hackathons in the world that combine AI solutions and design thinking to tackle problems faced by communities.
Participating companies benefit by upskilling on AI applications, learning and applying innovation (design thinking) and experimenting in a low risk environment.
Through fieldwork, participants engage with B40 (bottom 40) of the population, the largest consumer segment in Malaysia, and discover unmet needs, products and services that benefit society-at-large.
This is also an opportunity for companies thinking of organising hackathons to experience one.
POSSIBLE AI APPLICATIONS
How to simplify, automate or make it quicker to:
- Save, invest, insure and predict financial needs
- Find nearest jobs
- Learn about upskilling and training opportunities
- Obtain relevant information to cope with rising cost of living
- Optimise cost and use of resources to build cheaper and better quality homes
- Improve operational efficiencies to reduce cost and price of goods
- Find information about laws and seek advice
- Develop more effective intervention by government and organisations
- Deliver public services
- Engage with customers in realtime
- Up to five people per team
- At least one developer with programming skills (prior knowledge in AI not required)
- Open to non-tech talent. For example, talent on career acceleration
- Data professionals encouraged to join
- Companies may send more than one team
- Open to companies outside Malaysia
2 Oct, 8:30am - 5:00pm: IBM Developer Workshop on AI (Session 1)
16 Oct, 11:00am - 4:30pm: Design Thinking Workshop
16 Oct, 4:30pm - 8:00pm: Fieldwork Research
30 Oct, 8:30am - 5:00pm: IBM Developer Workshop on AI (Session 2)
10 Nov, 7:30am - 11 Nov, 7:00pm: Hackathon
Attendance of both Developer Workshops is compulsory for developers unless they have used Bluemix by IBM.
All teams must develop and build applications powered by IBM Bluemix Cloud and use at least one IBM Watson API service. All production work must be done on IBM Bluemix.
Participants are highly encouraged to join the Design Thinking Workshop and Fieldwork.
REGISTER AND PAY BY
20 Sep to facilitate event arrangement
RM6,000 + GST per team (early bird: RM5,000 + GST before 15 September)
Covers complimentary Bluemix access and 2-day AI workshop for developers by IBM; 1-day design thinking workshop and fieldwork for up to two reps per team; and participation in 36-hour Hackathon.
2 & 16 Oct - IBM Developer Workshops
IBM Malaysia, Plaza IBM, 8 First Avenue, Persiaran Bandar Utama, Petaling Jaya
(MRT: Bandar Utama)
8 Nov - Design Thinking Workshop (afternoon)
WORQ, Glo Damansara, TTDI, Kuala Lumpur
8 Nov - Design Thinking Fieldwork (evening)
10 - 11 Nov - Hackathon
Dewan Sri Pinang, Tower 1, Etiqa Twin Towers, 11 Jalan Pinang, Kuala Lumpur
What if the relevant data is not available to build AI capabilities?
In instances where data is unavailable or is not captured yet, the solutions developed during the Hackathon could be on how to record and use data.
My company's target market is not low income communities. Why would this Hackathon be relevant to me?
Solutions that are useful and improve the wellbeing of the poor would probably be relevant to society-at-large as most people have been affected by rising cost of living and are trying to do more with less. This Hackathon is an opportunity to test and discover unmet needs and how people are adjusting to higher living costs.
Would the poor like the homeless download and use applications that we build?
Winning solutions should be useful to society and may be used by direct beneficiaries or organisations that support them.
Who owns the intellectual property rights of the solutions developed during the Hackathon?
The goal of this Hackathon is to expose companies to the potential of AI and help them upskill without substantial investment yet. At the same time, we want to foster a culture of collaboration to innovate and help society. The codes shall belong to participating companies that developed them. As for the ideas that can help communities-in-need, we would like to share them in an open repository six months after the Hackathon (11 May 2018) to give participants lead time for implementation if they wish to while ensuring beneficial ideas for humanity are not left to languish.
1) Request for Participation Form from Wayn Shaun, email@example.com
2) Companies decide on their team(s) members and submit Participation Form to firstname.lastname@example.org
3) Upon payment, participants receive Info Pack, Bluemix login and Promocode (complimentary by IBM).
4) Participants attend Developer Workshops and Design Thinking Workshop.